Regional Focus: Ukraine/Russia
Author: Patricia Polacco
Genre: Children’s literature
In Patricia Polacco’s heart-felt story, Babushka is known throughout all of Moskva for her beautifully painted eggs. She also has an eye for the wonders of nature, so it is no surprise when she befriends an injured goose she names Rechenka. But, when Rechenka turns over a basket of Babushka’s specially prepared eggs, the reader is surprised by another wonder that saves the day!
What I love:
A tale of friendship between a caring adult and a goose.
- A reminder to appreciate the simple miracles of life.
- A carefree approach to difficulties and unexpected circumstances.
- Flow of foreign words woven into the text.
Themes: miracles, natural wonders, kindness
- What words would you use to describe Babushka? Would you like her to be your friend? Why?
- Have you ever rescued an injured animal? What happened?
- Babushka witnesses many “natural” wonders as she journeys through her day such as a visit from deer or a flock of flying birds. What natural wonders have you seen today?
- Find the Ukraine on the map. Investigate culture and tradition from this country.
- Using natural dyes, paint and decorate your own eggshells.
- How are the buildings in the story Rechenka’s Eggs similar or different from the buildings in your community? Make a picture of a building or a house in your town and compare it with the buildings of the “onion domes” in Moscow.